Monday, June 2, 2014

Famous Authors Who Broke Grammar Rules

Did you know..

Charles Dickens often ended sentences in prepositions?  He also wrote in run-on sentences - sometimes half the page in one sentence.
Ralph Waldo Emerson, although a master at poetic prose, often had incomplete sentences in his writing.
E.E. Cummings often used lowercase rather than uppercase, especially with the 1 letter word, I.
William Faulkner had a 5 word chapter in The Light of August.
Jane Austen used double negatives.

What grammar rule have you broken - intentionally - and why?

I changed point-of-view in a novel.  Yes, yes, I did.  Writing The Faerie Ring Dance I deliberately changed point-of-view from Omnipotent to First Person.
For my purposes, it worked.  You see, I was once a clapper.  That is not a typo - I was not a flapper, I was a clapper.  I went to shows in Burbank and Hollywood, California, and was paid to clap whenever there had to be audience applause.  I was ridiculed for this job.  I did not view it as an occupation although I do know the word is a synonym for job - it was NOT an occupation, to me, it helped me get by from week-to-week at another low-income job which frequently hired too many people and cut too many existing workers' hours.  I decided to get back.  I wrote The Faerie Ring Dance knowing that if I made your adorable offspring (whom you had later than I had my adorable offspring - which meant my tots were loud and dirty when you were young and single) clap I'd get back.  So, I cooked up a little, ol' Irish fae magic in the beginning of the novel (omnipotent), explained an adventurous outsider's point of view (first person) to your adorable tots; and then, listened as the reviews trickled in, asking each parent, "Did your children clap?" (which often they did accompanied by the tots running around the room - and at bedtime! No where near perfect either.) I got back and after a long wait from a tried-and-true point-of-view rule breaking skeptic, I as told, "Well, done."  Thanks!!

Find out if this faerie magic works (even adult men have been known to clap and run around) in my children's lit. novel, The Faerie Ring Dance, for yourselves - but be sure to read it aloud to a child or group to thoroughly test this magic enchantment which is bestowed with love for your understanding  - because I adore children no matter the precious opinions of their once single parents.

Information in this post was gathered from personal reading and The Huffington Post - Authors Who Broke The Rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment